Sunday 22 April 2007

G-four no more :-(

Yesterday afternoon, my son came down to call me to the family computer which was acting weird. And sure enough all his running programs (Safari and Finder) were showing me the Spinning Pizza Of Death. Nothing worked. No Command-Option-Eject to put it into sleep, no clicking anywhere, no Command-Tab, nothing. And then, suddenly, the computer shut itself down.
The weirdest thing was that nothing could persuade it to turn back on. The only thing happening was that the light in the power button started to glow. No problems, thinks me. I've had this before. It is just a matter of opening this machine up and pressing the PMU-reset. So disconnect everything, move the PowerMac G4 to another table for easy access, open it up, press the button, wait a full minute, close the computer reconnect everything and then presto: Nothing, only the light in the button.
Hmm that's weird. Try disconnecting the battery. Without battery same results. But the battery in after 12 minutes and try again: Same result, nothing happens.

So now the machine is at the Macintosh repair shop and I'm hoping it is nothing too serious. But you know the thing I miss the most is my iTunes library of which I have no backups. (Backups, come-on this is a consumer machine, why should I need backups). No iTunes library means no new podcasts and how am I going to get my daily podcast fix now?

The shop will call me Monday or Tuesday with the results of their inspection. I hope they can fix it. Then I'll donate the machine to someone else and buy myself a brand new 24" iMac.

Zaaf

No comments: