Monday 19 November 2007

Chess master

Last week my seven-year-old participated in the school chess championships for primary schools in our town. This was a cross primary school event where 24 teams of eight different schools bested their chess playing skills against each other. Each team consisted of four persons. My son's team was the on average youngest team with an average age of 7. And although they ended 23th of the 24, I still think he did a remarkable job: 4.5 of the team's 9 points where his. Of his 7 games, he won 4 and drew only one.

But the most remarkable feature was that he only played 10, 11 and 12 year olds. Giving away only 2.5 out of 7 points to kids that are at least 50% older than you is reason enough to make me proud. And the first time ever he came in contact with a chess board was two months ago.

Yes, I'm a proud parent,

Zaaf

No comments: