Wednesday 18 July 2007

Remember to let it go

Have you ever had the problem where you're busy walking around with your hands full and the task you're doing becomes even more complicated? Just let it go. Drop the stuff you hold in your hands and place it somewhere safe. Finish your task and pick it up again.

It happens to me all the time. Say, I've just picked up the mail of the doormat and as I walk back to the living room, I notice that my shoelace is untied. First I start to retie it with the mail still in my hands, but after a couple of exasperating tries I give up, let the stuff go and finish tying my shoelace. And it's not just me, almost everyone in my surroundings has the habit of not letting go of the stuff in your hands. The other day my wife went to the supermarket by car. She picked up the car keys and came back to get the recyclable glass in order to dump in the glass recycle container. She grabbed a plastic bag and proceeded to put the glass in. All this time the car keys where still in here hand. And just as I was starting to tell here that it might be a good idea to let go of the car keys, the inevitable happened and a glass jar shattered on the ground.

From personal experience I know it's hard to force yourself to let go of the things in your hands, but doing one thing well is so much easier that, to me at least, it's worth the extra effort of putting down and picking up. So now I'm always remembering to let it go.

Zaaf

No comments: