Sunday 15 June 2008

Turn to a new leaf in a new book

As I wrote before, my PowerBook decided to die. I did indeed manage to salvage my data by booting into FireWire Target mode after holding down the ‘T’ on startup. This allowed me to copy over my complete ~/. directory.
The harddisk seemed to be alright as /sbin/fsck -fy did not find any issues. Next step I took was zeroing out the harddisk drive and cleanly install Tiger on it. The format stage went fine, the install stage however ended half-way through in an official kernel panic. So something somewhere must be fried. And presumably it's on the logic board.

All in all this means I'm in the market for a new laptop. It is time to close the Book of Power for the last time and turn over a new leaf in a new book. Most likely it will be the Book of Mac. I had my eye cast towards the MacBook Air, but its lack of target FireWire mode made me reconsider this, especially after this recent mishap. So it's time to draw up my requirements for a new MacBook. And in my head they're already skewed towards the 15" MacBook Pro. In fact I already configured one in the Online Apple Store but I decided to wait until I can justify it for myself.

Time will tell,

Zaaf

No comments: