Tuesday 19 June 2007

To HD or not, is that a question?

Since a few weeks I'm the proud owner of a 720p HD television. And I have to say, the images look marvelous compared to my old CRT. Especially when watching HD content. The big question however would be whether or not it enhances the viewing experience. Does it get you into the story of the movie quicker? Are all those extra details adding to the movie, are they just distracting or won't you notice them after a while when you're entranced with the story.
For me it's the latter. And as a test, I put an old movie into my VCR to watch it. The first thing I noticed is that I really hated the picture quality. It looked so incredibly bad when compared to a good DVD that it almost made me cringe. But after watching it for a few minutes, the story took over and I was forgetting that I was watching an old VHS cassette tape. I really enjoyed the movie.

So if watching a less than Standard Definition movie is enjoyable in spite of the picture quality, a High Definition movie should be equally enjoyable even though the picture quality is much higher.

To HD or not, for me there is no question.

Zaaf

No comments: