Saturday 12 May 2007

Encore for the G4

My G4 desktop computer is back and working fine. And although the technician working on it promised the repair would be a €560,- logic board replace, it turned out to be a €120,- power supply swap. I was so happy with this result, that on a whim, I decided to buy myself a 23" Cinema display. Unfortunately, the customer just before me had the last one, so I settled for a 20" display. And let me tell you, even though it is the smallest of the Cinema Display line, at 1680 x 1050 this is a grand display! It swaps out the old 17" CRT I have had for the last nine years and whose screen at 1280 x 1024 was definitely getting blurry. The machine looks so good and fresh now that I think I can live with it for at least another year, maybe even two. By then it is 5 years old and it will for sure need to be replaced with something bright and shiny. So the PowerMac G4 gets a new leash of live: G4 Encore!

By the way, the screen is much bigger than I expected when put in its place on my desk. I don't think that the 23" display would have fit. This showed me again that everything in the shop looks smaller than it is, getting you to buy bigger than needed. Which is something to keep in mind when we replace our TV-set.

Zaaf

No comments: