Monday 7 May 2007

No Computer, No Cry?

I've always understood the Bob Marley lyric "No Woman, No Cry" to mean something like: "Please dear woman of mine, don't cry, everything will be alright." So now I'm without a real desktop I'm testing to see if this can be extended from women to computers.

First of all, I'm happy to report that my G4 is undergoing some major surgery and is supposed to be up and running end of next week with a complete new logic board. So the "everything will be alright" part of the lyric should turn out just fine.

However, currently I'm using my rather ageing TiBook G4 667MHz (aka Gigabit Ethernet), which I purchased in March 2002 and there are things I sorely miss on this setup, so there is some reason for prolonged sadness. For starters, I can't take it with me, because my wife is now using it too. She brought home some Excel files from work and proclaimed that this computer was faster than the one she uses at work.
The main reason for my sadness though, is iTunes. I have a large list of podcasts that I listen to on a weekly basis and I have my subscriptions tuned just so that I can listen to (or view for that matter) all podcasts during the four days I commute to work. I sorely miss watching Happy Slip, or GeekBrief. And I miss listening to Anji Bees multiple podcasts, CC Chapmans Accident Hash and Adam Curry's Daily Source Code. I provided me with ample opportunity to listen to my own music catalogue. I cannot wait to get the play count and skip count synced with iTunes again to do some music library re-factoring on it. I don't know how other people do it, but every time I listen to a song and I find something is wrong with it, I make a mental note to update it in iTunes. And in at least 10% of the cases I do something about it. Here's a list of mental notes I've made:

  1. See which of the skipped items can be removed
  2. Make sure that Kate Bush's Aerial CD is one cd. Currently the numbers from the first CD are labeled "Aerial CD1" and those from the second CD are labelled "Aerial Disc 2".
  3. Make sure that the numbers of the Jimmy Hendrix BBC Sessions CD are in the correct order.
  4. Make a blog-post of the wide variety of songs played during the lapse in podcast listening.
I'm very sure that I've forgotten at least half of it. So being without a working desktop computer certainly has its drawbacks.

No Computer, No Cry (but only just).

Zaaf

No comments: